For more than 60 years, the National Shooting Sports Foundation has been the standard-bearer for those in the firearms industry. Created in 1961 to promote, protect, and preserve hunting and shooting sports, the NSSF is a trade association with more than 12,000 members across the industry. As part of their mission to promote shooting sports, the NSSF has established a program to recognize shooting ranges that provide outstanding facilities for firearms enthusiasts, known as the NSSF 5-Star Rating System.
According to Star Rating System Guide released by the NSSF in 2018, the rating system serves the following purpose:
“The rating system is based on our vision of a safe, well managed, customer-oriented facility that is a strong promoter in the recreational shooting sports market. NSSF’s new Star Rating Range Program will hold facilities to a higher standard. These 5 Star-rated ranges will be the gold standard for our industry, those ranges having earned that rating through their focus on advancing best business practices.”
With 68 ranges currently qualifying for a 5-Star Rating, Action Target is proud to have partnered with 29 ranges who have earned an NSSF 5-Star rating. Below is a list of qualifying ranges associated with Action Target.
Action Target Partners with NSSF 5-Star Ratings
|Gunfighter Canyon – Williams||Williams, Arizona||www.gunfighter.com|
|Kings Gun Center LLC||Hanford, California||www.kingguncenter.com|
|Centennial Gun Club||Centennial, Colorado||www.centennialgunclub.com|
|Nexus Shooting||Davie, Florida||www.nexusshooting.com|
|Shooters World, LLC||Orlando, Florida||www.shootersworld.com|
|Shooters World, LLC||Tamp, Florida||www.shootersworld.com|
|Shooters World, LLC||The Villages, Florida||www.shootersworld.com|
|Guns-n-Gear Sports LLC||Idaho Falls, Idaho||www.gngsports.com|
|Maxon Shooter’s Supplies and Indoor Range||Des Plaines, Illinois||www.maxonshooters.com|
|On Target Range & Tactical Training Center||Crystal Lake, Illinois||www.ontargetsite.com|
|Smokin’ Gun Worx||Forreston, Illinois||www.smokingunworx.com|
|Firearms Range and Clothing, Inc.||Baton Rouge, Louisiana||www.frcbr.com|
|Cape Gun Works||Hyannis, Massachusetts||https://capegunworks.com/|
|Ann Arbor Arms LLC||Ann Arbor, Michigan||www.annarborarms.com|
|Top Gun Shooting Sports, Inc.||Taylor, Michigan||www.tgssinc.com|
|Heartland Gun Club & Range||Rochester, Minnesota||www.heartlandgunclubs.com|
|White Birch Armory||Dover, New Hampshire||www.wbarmory.com|
|RTSP, LLC||Randolph, New Jersey||www.rtsponline.com|
|Reloaderz NJ||Wayne, New Jersey||www.reloaderznj.com|
|Carolina Sporting Arms||Charlotte, North Carolina||www.csaguns.com|
|Heritage Guild of Easton, LLC||Easton, Pennsylvania||www.heritageguild.com|
|Keystone Shooting Center||Mars, Pennsylvania||www.keystoneshootingcenter.com|
|Nashville Armory||Nashville, Tennessee||www.nashvillearmory.com|
|Nardis Gun Club at Alamo Ranch||San Antonio, Texas||www.nardisgunclub.com|
|Nardis Gun Club at Rolling Oaks||San Antonio, Texas||www.nardisgunclub.com|
|Nardis Gun Club – San Antonio||San Antonio, Texas||www.nardisgunclub.com|
|Bellevue Gun Club||Bellevue, Washington||http://www.westcoastarmory.com|
|The Range LLC||Yakima, Washington||www.therangellc.com|
|Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays||Coplay, Pennsylvania||www.lvsclays.com|
What Does It Take?
The process of becoming a 5-Star Rated Range with NSSF is one a new—or existing—range owner can complete with their existing business. The NSSF qualifies ranges for a 3-5 Rating based on the following criteria:
- Appearance and Maintenance: The range must be clean, well-maintained, and visually appealing to shooters and visitors.
- Management: This includes integration of technology, general business management, and marketing tactics together ensure a quality customer experience.
- Shooting Sports Development: This evaluation looks at the procedures and policies in your business that support the promotion and development of shooting sports for the public. This includes public events and range availability, community engagement, and environmental practices to ensure safe range operation for the facility and staff.
- Amenities: This evaluation considers the offerings of your business to the public, including restrooms, stocked pro shop or retail spaces, and compliance with ADA accessibility and other requirements.
Benefits of Being a 5-Star Range
Now that we know what it takes to be a 5-Star Rated Range, what are the benefits of being rated so highly? There are several benefits, some of which include:
- Increased customer satisfaction and loyalty: The 5-star rating is a recognition of excellence in the industry, and customers are likely to be attracted to ranges with this rating.
- Improved reputation and visibility: Being recognized as a 5-star range can help to establish a positive reputation in the industry and increase visibility among shooting sports enthusiasts.
- Potential for increased revenue: Customers are willing to pay more for a superior experience and being a 5-star rated range can lead to increased revenue from range fees, merchandise sales, and other services.
- Access to NSSF resources: 5-star rated ranges have access to resources provided by the NSSF, such as training programs and marketing materials, which can help improve operations and attract more customers.
- Networking opportunities: The NSSF hosts events and conferences that provide opportunities for range owners to network with other industry professionals and learn about best practices in the industry.
Being rated 5 stars from the NSSF is mark of excellence that can help attract new business and other range owners to follow your example.
Action Target’s Role
At Action Target, we specialize in engineering range solutions that are expertly planned and installed, so you can be confident in the product you receive. This leads to high reviews from customers, more profitable ranges, better training options, and a safer experience for shooters and staff at your range.
Because of our commitment to excellence, 42% of NSSF 5-Star Ranges partnered with Action Target. Our projects and experience from around the globe has made Action Target a leader in the firearms industry, and NSSF’s rating system shows that Action Target continues to confidently provide quality service to both new and existing ranges.
“At Action Target, we are proud to have built many of the NSSF 5-star rated shooting ranges across the country” says Mike Birch, Action Target CEO. “We take great pride in designing and building state-of-the-art facilities that meet the highest standards of safety, comfort, and performance. Being a part of the process that helps ranges earn this prestigious rating is a testament to the quality of work and dedication of our team. We look forward to continuing to build and improve shooting range solutions for the benefit of the industry and its customers.”
Action Target has played a significant role in establishing many of the NSSF 5-star rated shooting ranges across the country. Our dedication to designing and building state-of-the-art facilities and range product solutions that meet the highest standards of safety, comfort, and performance has helped many ranges earn this prestigious rating. As a result, customers can enjoy an exceptional shooting experience while range owners benefit from increased customer satisfaction, improved reputation, and potential for increased revenue. By continuing to build and improve shooting ranges, Action Target is helping to promote and preserve hunting and shooting sports and ensuring that customers have access to the best facilities in the industry.
The creation of the NSSF’s 5-Star rating system was put in place to recognize “safe, well managed, customer-oriented” facilities for their excellence in preparing and training shooters across the country. Action Target’s mission to “build the safest and most advanced shooting ranges possible” aligns perfectly with this goal, which is only emphasized by the large amount of Action Target ranges who have earned a 5-Star Rating.